An Approachable Introduction to Data Science
Autumn Term (2021): Postgraduate (MSc), University of Essex, 2021
The aim of the module is to develop quantitative skills in the area of AI and Data Science to enable professional working in areas in which these topics are now being embedded. The module will enable those future professionals to take a knowledgeable approach to their use of AI and data science.
For running the codes, I would highly recommend using Google Colab. Colaboratory is a Google research project created to help disseminate machine learning education and research. It’s a Jupyter notebook environment that requires no setup to use and runs entirely in the cloud. This means that as long as you have a Google account, you can freely train your models on a K80 GPU.
After taking this module, students will be expected to have the ability:
- Work confidently with numbers and mathematical concepts
- Critically evaluate the suitability of certain tools and use them to summarise, present, and compress data
- Conceptually understand basic machine learning techniques and analyse their strengths and weaknesses
- Assess evidence for causality
- Formally analyse a decision making strategy
I am leading this module.
Lab work is available GitHub
Teaching Materials Available via Moodle